Friday 20 June 2014

Insalata Caprese for eating al fresco

I told my guys I'm going on a strike, and don't want to cook anything for dinner. Then I relented a bit and put a pizza margherita in the oven and made a simple Insalata Caprese. I wouldn't really call it cooking, as the salad is so easy to make. It has so few ingredients that they have to be very fresh.


Insalata Caprese 
Ingredients:
tomatoes (depends on the size, I used one huge tomato)
mozzarella
basil leaves, a handful
olive oil
sea salt, pepper
Slice the tomatoes and mozzarella, alternate them on a big plate. Scatter the torn basil leaves, drizzle with the olive oil, season with salt and freshly ground pepper. And that's it.



I like to use Galbani maxi mozzarella, which comes as a long log rather than a ball, but by all means use a big ball or even a tub of mini mozzarella balls.



I'm looking forward to harvesting my own tomatoes, and in the meantime there are lots of tasty tomatoes from the Isle of Wight and other British localities.



We had our dinner in the garden, and this simple meal is excellent for eating al fresco.



Chris from Cooking Around the World has challenged the foodies to take part in a culinary-football-themed game this month. Read all about the rules of the game in his linky Bloggers Around the World.



6 comments:

  1. That is a satisfying meal. I also had pizza today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet yours was home made. Ours was courtesy of Pizza Express

      Delete
  2. Love tomato salads, that looks lovely

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely m favourite salad ever. Yours looks so fresh and tasty x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dom! It was lovely. Simplicity itself but so tasty

      Delete