Tuesday 18 March 2014

Teapigs for Mother's day and all year round

"It is never too late, or too early, for tea"
"My view too", agreed Mma Ramotswe. "Now, what would you like? We have redbush tea or we have ordinary tea. Both are available"
"Not everybody likes redbush", said Mma Makutsi... "I prefer what Mma Ramotwse calls ordinary tea, but which can be far from ordinary - if made correctly"...
"I think I'll try redbush", said Mma Sheba. "I have a friend who drinks it, and she swears by it".
"As do I", said Mma Ramotswe. "It has no caffeine and therefore you can drink it even when you are about to go to sleep. And it is very good for the skin, I'm told".
"Where is the proof?" muttered Mma Makutsi... (The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon, Alexander McCall Smith)

While Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi from The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency cannot come to an agreement about which tea is better, I enjoy both redbush and black tea. If anything, I welcome the variety of teas, and have a great choice of different packs and boxes of tea in my kitchen, which is suitable for any occasion or mood and which could match a small sized tea shop easily. Teapigs brand of tea is well known and much loved. Their unique packaging makes them stand out on the supermarket shelves and in cafes (so pleased that our local Cogges manor farm sells their teas in the cafe).



Teapigs use the whole leaf in their tea temples which are basically cute transparent mesh bags. The temples are also bio-degradable, and kudos to Teapigs for doing that.

Everyday Brew is their signature blend. It is a combination of three delicious teas: Assam, Ceylon and Rwandan. These teas are blended "to give a balanced, malty, zesty alliance". It is quite a strong brew, what could be described as a builders' brew. I prefer to have it with a slice of lemon and one sugar (sweetener).
It is a flavourful tea, great both hot and iced.
And what's even more commendable, for every pack of Everyday Brew that we buy, Teapigs will donate 5p to the Noel Orphanage in Rwanda.


 


It is a pleasure to watch the leaves unfurl, once you infuse a tea temple in the hot boiling water.



If you are a fan of Mma Ramotswe and would like a bit of African sun in your own house, Rooibos (or redbush) is the perfect tea for you. I mostly have it before going to bed, this is my last cup of tea of the day. It is smooth, slightly nutty and looks gorgeously mahogany-tinted. I know you may add milk to it, if you like, but I prefer to have it as it is, or perhaps with half a teaspoon of honey. I find it very calming and relaxing.





Going back to black teas, Darjeeling is another clean and refreshing brew. Serve it either in posh dainty cups or more democratic mugs and enjoy its refreshing taste.




If your own Mum or mother of your children is anything like me, she'd be delighted with a lovely Pick'n'Mix gift from Teapigs. Rather than getting your Mum a standard box of Celebrations or Milk Tray, surprise her with a quirky tea gift. We, Mums, love our tea. Tea is a solution to everything (or almost everything), or so I believe. This set is a great way to introduce tea lovers to the varied and exciting world of teas. You can choose twelve flavours including Darjeeling, Everyday Brew, Peppermint, Popcorn, Rooibos, Chai and Jasmine Pearl. There is a tea to suit every taste. How does it sound? This gift ticks all the boxes, and would definitely get you the brownie points for being so thoughtful and creative.
Of course, tea is not just for Mother's day. It is a treat for any day of the year.

Pick'n'mix (photo courtesy of Teapigs)


Disclosure: I received a selection of Teapigs tea for the purposes of reviewing. All opinions are mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment