Tuesday 15 January 2013

Brownies with marrons glacé

I must confess I had this box of marrons glacé staring at me accusingly from the top shelf of the kitchen cupboard for over a year. I got it in the after-Christmas sales and then decided I didn't fancy it after all. So, it was sitting there and glaring at me: when are you going to open the box? The expiry date came and went, and I still did nothing. A couple of days ago, I tentatively picked the box from its place, opened the sealed candied chestnuts and decided that they were still good enough to eat.



Brownies with marrons glacé
Ingredients:
3 eggs
100g dark chocolate
100g milk chocolate with sea salt
orange zest from 1 orange
2 heaped tbsp of cocoa
120g butter, melted
100g brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
125g self-raising flour
120g chopped marrons glacé

Beat the eggs with the granulated sugar in a deep mixing bowl. Melt the chocolate with butter in a bowl over the hot water, making sugar the bowl doesn't touch the boiling water. Chop the marrons glacé. Add all the ingredients to the big mixing bowl, and mix well.
Take a square/rectangular tray and line with the foil or parchment paper, buttering it well.
Pour the contents of the mixing bowl in the tray.
Put the tray in the oven preheated to 180C and bake for about 20 mins.





Once cooked, take it out of the tray (just lift with the foil) and let it cool before cutting into squares. We are an impatient lot, so I started cutting while the brownies were still hot.
Serve warm or cold, with cream or without.




Now what can I make with a jar of mincemeat which has been given to me 3 years ago? ;)

2 comments:

  1. hahaha, I have a jar of mincemeat that I made last year looking for a raison d'etre

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go on, Fiona, come with an idea and inspire me to use it. :)

    ReplyDelete